The vehicle fleet of Bosch Classic
A passion for steel and chrome
Classic cars are a passion embodied by steel and chrome. In honor of this passion, Bosch Classic also maintains a fleet of classic vehicles. It includes a Goliath GD 750, a Borgward Isabella, a VW-Bus and Volvo P 1800 E. They are all regular stars at various rallies such as the Bosch Boxberg Klassik.
The Carl F. W. Borgward GmbH founded in 1949 was the first German company to launch a car with a ponton body onto the market. Borgward grew to become a large company and was Bremen's largest employer. In 1961 however, the company experienced financial difficulties it didn’t manage to overcome which eventually led to the company's collapse.
The history of Bosch’s Isabella TS limousine is fully documented; it was delivered to Stockholm, Sweden in 1959 and was licensed on August 13, 1959. In 1998, it found its way back to a collector in Bremen who then sold the meticulously maintained Isabella to Robert Bosch GmbH in 2003. Since then, the Isabella has appeared at many major classic car rallies such as the Bosch Boxberg Klassik.
Goliath GD 750
The Goliath GD 750 with a box-type van body is a true rarity. In fact, not even 100 of these vehicles were produced. Bosch Classic is the proud owner of one of the few known ones, a 1954 model. It was produced by the Bremen-based Goliath-Werke, a Borgward subsidiary. The truck was first owned by a bakery and used as a delivery vehicle.
A private collector purchased the truck in a dilapidated condition and lovingly restored it down to the smallest detail. With the go-ahead of Robert Bosch GmbH, the owner had the truck labeled as a historical Bosch service truck. In 2008, the Goliath was adopted by Bosch Classic as an advertising vehicle.
Volvo P 1800 E
Due to its attractive styling, the Volvo P 1800 E received an enthusiastic response by the public when it was first presented in 1961. The P 1800 ES station wagon is yet another very popular Volvo model. Due to its copious windows, it earned the moniker “Snow White’s coffin”.
The coupé shown here is equipped with a B20 engine and comes with Bosch D-Jetronic as standard – the first electronic fuel injection system by Bosch. The car was licensed to a film company. In 1972, it was sold to a woman who used it until 2000. It then passed into the hands of a car enthusiast. Since end of 2007, it has been in the possession of Bosch Classic. In 2008, the car was restored to its original condition down to the last detail.
VW (Volkswagen) T1
Our VW T1 – colloquially known to Germans as "Bulli” – was first registered on April 30, 1965 in Karlsruhe with the official license plate number KA PW 67. The car later found a new home in the United States, was rediscovered in 2007, and then returned to its homeland. In early 2008, it was completely restored back into its original condition.
As a historical Bosch Service transporter, it makes regular appearances at public functions, especially at classics rallies and exhibitions. Since our Bulli was out on the road almost nonstop, a freshly restored twin appeared in 2013 to give it an occasional rest.